Ethan had the pleasure to speak with Ivan Van Norman of Hunters Books, publishers of the hit role-playing game Outbreak Undead (who Ethan interviewed a while back in September 2010). Since then, Outbreak Undead has become a huge hit, and Hunters Books had a few things to announce this year, besides being distributed through Studio 2 Publishing.
This is another installment in a series of short interviews from the floor of Gen Con 2011.
About Hunters Books
Hunters Books and Apparel, In 1999 the Hunter, Vincent St.Clair, came to the United States and was appalled at the lack of preparedness against evil forces. He wanted to make a change in the public knowledge of these threats. With that goal in mind, he and his team of Hunters have developed Outbreak Undead, a Zombie Survival Role-Playing Game with the tag “Your Zombie Survival Plan Will Fail!” and challenges players to prove them wrong. Learn more about our game and visit the “SPEW-AI” stations, where you can create yourself as a character, at our booth. In the days of Facebook, Twitter, and Wikipedia, information is power, and these men reek of it. While working on the book, they still continue their hunter life, and stalk the shadows of the unknown to this day.
About Outbreak Undead
“Outbreak Undead” is a Zombie Survival Simulation RPG that is not only fun, but an essential step in surviving the Undead. We at Hunters Books have provided the most dramatic, effective, and above all realistic means in which to (safely) simulate the events of a zombie uprising and try your chances at survival!
Included in Outbreak Undead, players will find:
• A simple and unique percentile based combat system
• Everyday items that can be used as weapons! You’ll soon find that
anything and everything can be used to destroy the undead.
• Endless scenario types, with the ability to form missions from any and all existing zombie lore and fan-fiction
• Easy-to-use charts that can be used to customize outbreak scenarios for players of all levels of experience
• Dynamic rule-sets, designed to turn the game into a simulation,
including realistic factors such as “Panic,” “Pain,” and “Empathy”
• Character templates for all survivor archetypes, such as firemen, military personnel, and civilians.
The core rulebook of Outbreak Undead consists of a player’s guide, a game-master’s guide, and a zombie guide. Everything you need to play is contained in one place. The convenience of three books in one!